It’s Been One Year Since the Engagement Announcement!

So on November 16, 2010 one Royal Poster was in London while the other was on the other side of the world, so naturally the Londoner paid the other a five am phone call to share the news that it was official! William and Kate were engaged after all those years – hurray.

We’d been following Kate since she was first photographed at Klosters with William.

Here is one of the first public photographs taken of the couple:

Let’s take a trip down memory lane to review the events of November 16, 2010.

It all went down very quickly that morning, with William informing the Queen, the Prime Minister, and his staff of this news first thing in the morning. The Queen would have known that this was coming down the pipeline, so it wouldn’t have been a surprise at all. When Kate and William went to William’s office, apparently they were very giddy and excited.

The couple had become engaged in October, and had originally intended to make the announcement earlier, but decided to delay when Kate’s grandfather passed away early in November. Check out our post on the couple’s engagement in Kenya by clicking here.

The official announcement came from Clarence House and read as follows, “The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton. The wedding will take place in the Spring or Summer of 2011, in London. Further details about the wedding day will be announced in due course. Prince William and Miss Middleton became engaged in October during a private holiday in Kenya. Prince William has informed The Queen and other close members of his family. Prince William has also sought the permission of Miss Middleton’s father. Following the marriage, the couple will live in North Wales, where Prince William will continue to serve with the Royal Air Force.’

Here’s a photo of Charles that day:

A reaction followed from Buckingham Palace, the Queen’s London residence. A spokesman said, ‘Both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are absolutely delighted for them both.’

Kate’s parents walked down from their house to the bottom of their drive to speak to the press. It was really very sweet to watch. Carole was clearly beside herself and apparently had purchased a jacket just for the occasion (we’d probably have done the same thing).

Kate’s dad Michael read the following statement that they had prepared, likely with Kate’s input. They had known about this for awhile and it must have been tough to keep the secret. Michael said, “Carole and I are absolutely delighted by today’s announcement and thrilled at the prospect of a wedding some time next year. As you know Catherine and Prince William have been going out together for quite a number of years which has been great for us because we have got to know William very well. We all think he is wonderful and we are extremely fond of him. They make a lovely couple, they are great fun to be with, and we’ve had a lot of laughs together. We wish them every happiness for the future.”

After Kate and William faced the press at a photo call at St. James Palace and answered some questions, they sat down for their official engagement interview with ITV News’ Tom Bradby. We have more information on that interview here.

Once the announcement was made, Kate was no longer a private citizen and was granted round the clock security. That must have been a huge adjustment among the many adjustments that began that day. She was photographed leaving Westminster Abbey on the night of November 17th so preparations began straight away! This was the first time Kate was seen with her own protection officers (below).  William had already returned to Wales to get back to work.

Here’s to Kate & William!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *